Hangyaku no Otaku 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studio Ghibli Thread

2 posters

Go down

Studio Ghibli Thread Empty Studio Ghibli Thread

Post by Ultimate Coordinator Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Probably the most internationally recognized and celebrated Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli, thanks to the efforts of such animation luminaries as Isao Takahata, Toshio Suzuki, and of course, Hayao Miyazaki, has given the world truly memorable animation movies in the last two decades - titles that includes My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Grave of the Fireflies, and Spirited Away, which became the first Japanese animation film to win an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature in the 75 Annual Academy Awards in 2002.

Let's talk about your favorite Studio Ghibli films here, as well as your personal thoughts on the social themes and moral values these films tries to open the eyes of audiences with.

For me, the films of Studio Ghibli evokes either fantastic worlds populated by whimsical creatures, or a nostalgic return to the simple lifestyle and culture of Post-World War II Japan, seen through the eyes of the youth. Ghibli has this magic that evokes what Disney did in the 1920s-1960s, but also espousing more socially relevant themes like environmentalism and horrors of war.

My personal favorite has to be Princess Mononoke. Not only does it have IMHO the best adventure story among the Ghibli films, it also has the best animation and most relevant social theme for me. The story of the Wolf Princess San and the warrior Ashitaka as they try to save a forest from a war between humans (bent of "progess" by depopulating and clearing the forest for their industrial expansion) and the animal denizes of the forest was so well written and incredibly animated that I was wowed by it the first time that I had to see it again. I would really recommend this to everyone to please see at least once in your life.

More to come, so please share your viewing experiences of Studio Ghibli films here!
Ultimate Coordinator
Ultimate Coordinator
Evil Admin
Evil Admin

Exp : 4122

Back to top Go down

Studio Ghibli Thread Empty Re: Studio Ghibli Thread

Post by Thousand Mistress Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:14 pm

My most treasured SG film would be Howl's Moving Castle, since I do believe that power of love conquers everything and anything. This movie led me to tears because that difference between Sophie and Howl is just heartbreaking. Sophie is a kind individual who wanted to help Howl be himself, and the latter was so confused about how he wants to live his life as a magician/crow-like creature. In the end, they lived together with their love in hand. Very Happy

I want to see more people like Sophie who would do everything for the person they love, and no matter what consequence awaits her, she will always be prepared to face them, to obtain those things she wants.

I think there's a sequel to this made into a novel? XD I've watched HMC I think around 3 times on Disney last year. It was awesome.
Thousand Mistress
Thousand Mistress
MOEderator

Exp : 3573

http://reveux.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down