Hangyaku no Otaku 2.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

caos' senseless impressions on readings

Go down

caos' senseless impressions on readings Empty caos' senseless impressions on readings

Post by caos+numbers Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:09 pm

So I suddenly came up with this idea (because a certain manhwa pissed me off) wherein I post my impressions on the translated manga, manhwa, webcomics, webtoons, doujinshi, and the like. Feel free to comment and give your own input about what I can read or have read but not yet posted about. I'll try to frequently update this as long as I don't get lazy, I may also edit some impressions if I feel like the post itself lacks description. What I'll be posting are impressions, and are by no means recommendations.

These are the usual habits that I exhibit when it comes to reading these sorts of media:

• I dislike mainstream stuff a lot, so I'll tend not to read something mainstream UNLESS its a series that I enjoy.
  • I hate reading extremely long stories unless I jump onto it relatively early.
  • I prefer a certain kind of art style, so I'll usually veer away from reading anything that doesn't match.
  • I like a good premise in the synopsis of what I'm reading.
  • I like reading completed series since I don't really like waiting.

Please be advised: Some of the impressions that I will be posting will have NSFW content (which I'll be classifying as fully showing of parts of body and beyond that). Therefore, I'll be tagging it with [NSFW] if it really is NSFW. I will not be posting pictures at all for the upcoming posts.

Currently posted impressions:
Idol Shopping by Hwang Mi-ri
<More to come>

Last edited by caos+numbers on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

caos+numbers
One Shot Wonder
One Shot Wonder

Exp : 3519

Back to top Go down

caos' senseless impressions on readings Empty Re: caos' senseless impressions on readings

Post by caos+numbers Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Idol Shopping by Hwang Mi-ri

So this manhwa got my interest based on 2 things: the premise and the alias that the main character went by. The premise reminded me a lot of a certain show (called Wana) which involves: A girl who enters a school as a guy to investigate the suicide (for this story, attempt on suicide) of her brother that she loves dearly. Now the alias that the main character went by was "S", which reminded me of the Minecraft dolphin with the same name. Combined with the amusing art style, I read it.

The story of the manhwa quickly changed from a mystery into a romance <insert shape here> with gender bender elements. It was fairly acceptable to me, since even if the plot shifted, at least they kept the element of figuring out the truth of the suicide attempt as something significant. Things quickly felt weird once everything was explained and the plot twist appeared, so I generally appreciated everything else before that twist.

I had a few gripes about the story. First, the common thing about gender bender stories of how people could not figure out that protagonist is female (or how no one really investigated it properly, there's always a "I knew it all along" character anyway) is something that the manhwa could not escape. Second, considering the number of times that the protagonist CHOSE a character (and retracted that decision), none of the other characters seemed to hate her for it. Third would be how the protagonist's strength seems to change depending on the situation.

The last gripe that I have would be how they ended the entire thing. Though it seemed like the story couldn't really go anywhere else, the ending was relatively rushed. None of the side stories were really resolved. The ending itself, even if it was a standard drama ending, was fairly open ended. So the manhwa generally left a bad taste in my mouth due to the ending itself.

caos+numbers
One Shot Wonder
One Shot Wonder

Exp : 3519

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum